I am generally interested in evolutionary biology, specifically the interactions between behaviour and genetics and their implications for speciation: Why and how do closely related populations evolve divergent behavioural patterns and how do these behaviours, in turn, influence the evolutionary trajectory of the respective populations? During my PhD I investigated how differences in social systems, particularly sex-biased dispersal, influence population genetic patterns in wild baboons.
I have also gained experience with genomic scale data analysis by joining the Baboon Genome Consortium, and additionally by collaborating on a project for high-throughput sequencing of non-invasively collected samples, which will eventually enable us to investigate evolutionary questions on a population genomic level in wild primates and other elusive species.
During my Postdoc, I combine behavioural ecology and genomics to better understand the evolutionary dynamics of behavioural patterns. I will study different bat species, because their behavioural diversity allows me to address different hypotheses about eco-evolutionary dynamics. Especially variation in spatio-temporal grouping patterns and dispersal behaviours can be expected to profoundly impact genetic diversity and evolutionary processes, such as local adaptation and genetic differentiation.
Grants & awards
- 2017-2019 Postdoctoral fellowship oft he Brigitte-Schlieben-Lange-Programme/Ministry of Science, Baden-Württemberg
- 2016 Research grant, German Society for Mammalian Biology (PI Dr. R. Kraus)
- 2016 DPZ Sponsorship Award for distinguished doctoral thesis, German Primate Center
- 2014-2015 Stipend of the Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard-Foundation
- 2012-2015 Research grant, The Leakey Foundation (PI Dr. D. Zinner)
- 2010 Distinguished diploma thesis award, Gesellschaft für Primatologie
- 2009 Field research grant, Christian-Vogel-Fonds
- 2009 & 2012 DAAD field travel grant
- Since 2016 Postdoc, University of Konstanz and Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Radolfzell
- 2010-2015 PhD in Biodiversity and Ecology, German Primate Center and University of Göttingen
- 2004-2010 Diploma in Biology, University of Göttingen
- 2004-2010 Researcj assistant, Cognitive Ethology Laboratory, German Primate Center, Göttingen
Research assistant, Department of Primatology, Max Planck Institute for
Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig